Restricted Items on Ibom Air
Restricted and dangerous goods are articles or substances capable of posing a risk to health, safety, property, or the environment. Some of these items include day-to-day commodities that are unknown to the larger travelling community. These items in most cases either require to be packaged differently and / or carried in limited quantity on board the aircraft; either in the hold or in the cabin.
Further below is a non-exhaustive list of these items to serve as a guide as you make yourself ready to travel. If you wish to travel with any such goods or materials, please be aware of the restrictions or steps you may have to take to travel on any of our flights.
Should you have any item that is not listed below and which you are unsure of its acceptability on any of our flights, you may email us in a timely manner for further clarification at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to refer to our terms and conditions page.
A Word on Smart Baggage
Smart Baggage is baggage (rucksack, suitcase or similar) that may contain a lithium battery/power bank. This device is often used to recharge personal electronic devices (PEDs) i.e., phones, tablets, laptops etc. or provide electro-motive power that auto weighs and sometimes auto propels the baggage.
Smart baggage and any such container are not accepted as checked baggage on all Ibom Air flights.
Much as smart baggage may be allowed as carry on / cabin baggage, it is the responsibility of the owning passenger to be fully knowledgeable about the capacity of the lithium battery component of the baggage and how to disable the device for safety reasons as he/she boards the aircraft.
The capacity of the lithium battery must not exceed 100wh rating.
To ensure the safety of the aircraft and those onboard, neither checked-in nor carry-on bags may contain articles or substances that could pose a danger during transport. These articles and substances include:
|LIGHTERS & MATCHES
|EXPLOSIVES & AMMUNITION
|BOTTLED OR CANNED OIL
Batteries can short circuit and catch fire if they are carried loose in your bag. Loose Batteries must be protected against contact with other metal items (e.g., by being in their original packaging or own protective case) and MUST BE carried in your hand baggage. This is only applicable where the airline has physically examined the battery and is satisfied with the condition and packaging of the battery.
Note: Segways are strictly prohibited both as checked or cabin baggage on board all Ibom Air aircraft.
This section outlines prohibited items in the Security Restricted Area of the airport, on board aircraft as cabin baggage and in checked baggage on flights. For a non-exhaustive list of prohibited items on all Ibom Air flights, please see the relevant section below.
List of prohibited articles into the Security Restricted Area of an airport and on onboard aircraft:
(a) guns, firearms and other devices that discharge projectiles-devices capable, or appearing capable, of being used to cause serious injury by discharging a projectile, including:
firearms of all types, such as pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, toy guns, replicas and imitation firearms capable of being mistaken for real weapons, component parts of firearms, excluding telescopic sights, compressed air and CO2 guns, such as pistols, pellet guns, rifles and ball bearing guns, signal flare pistols and starter pistols, – bows, cross bows and arrows, harpoon guns and spear guns, slingshots and catapults;
(b) stunning devices – devices designed specifically to stun or immobilise, including:
devices for shocking, such as stun guns, tasers and stun batons, animal stunners and animal killers, disabling and incapacitating chemicals, gases and sprays, such as mace, pepper sprays, capsicum sprays, tear gas, acid sprays and animal repellent sprays;
(c) objects with a sharp point or sharp edge -objects with a sharp point or sharp edge capable of being used to cause serious injury, including:
items designed for chopping, such as axes, hatchets and cleavers, ice axes and ice picks, razor blades, box cutters, knives with blades of more than 6 cm, scissors with blades of more than 6 cm as measured from the fulcrum, martial arts equipment with a sharp point or sharp edge, swords and sabres;
(d) workmen’s tools-tools capable of being used either to cause serious injury or to threaten the safety of aircraft, including:
crowbars, drills and drill bits, including cordless portable power drills, tools with a blade or a shaft of more than 6 cm capable of use as a weapon, such as screwdrivers and chisels, saws, including cordless portable power saws, blowtorches, bolt guns and nail guns;
(e) blunt instruments-objects capable of being used to cause serious injury when used to hit, including:
baseball and softball bats, clubs and batons, such as billy clubs, blackjacks and night sticks, martial arts equipment;
(f) explosives and incendiary substances and devices-explosives and incendiary substances and devices capable, or appearing capable, of being used to cause serious injury or to pose a threat to the safety of aircraft, including:
ammunition, blasting caps, detonators and fuses, replica or imitation explosive devices, mines, grenades and other explosive military stores, fireworks and other pyrotechnics, smoke-generating canisters and smokegenerating cartridges, dynamite, gunpowder and plastic explosives.
(g) Segways are strictly prohibited both as checked or cabin baggage aboard Ibom Air aircraft. Segways are small two wheeled motorised vehicle used as a convenient mode of transport. There are many names and brand names associated with such vehicles – Segway’s, Swagway’s, Swegway’s, Mini Swegway’s ‘Hoverboards’ etc. All such vehicles are strictly prohibited.
(h) Electric bicycles may only be carried if the battery is removed and will then be checked in as a normal bicycle and the rules above will apply.
(i) Electric Scooters are not permitted for carriage unless the scooter is being used as a genuine mobility device. Passengers will have to provide a doctor’s letter confirming a genuine need for this. If a scooter’s battery is non-removable it will be secured safely on the aircraft. If the scooter cannot be secured in the cargo hold it will be carried in the cabin.
(j) Also, Ibom Air does not allow carriage of all Samsung Galaxy Note7 smartphone devices on board the aircraft. Passengers who own or possess a Samsung Galaxy Note7 device may not transport the device on their person, in carry-on baggage, or in checked baggage on flights.
List of prohibited articles in checked baggage
Passengers are not permitted to carry the following articles in their checked baggage:
Explosives and incendiary substances and devices-explosives and incendiary substances and devices capable of being used to cause serious injury or to pose a threat to the safety of aircraft, including:
ammunition, blasting caps, detonators and fuses, mines, grenades and other explosive military stores, fireworks and other pyrotechnics, smoke-generating canisters and smoke-generating cartridges, dynamite, gunpowder and plastic explosives.
In addition to the restrictions mentioned above, the following restrictions apply on all Ibom Air flights.
For safety reasons, dangerous articles such as those listed below, must not be carried in a passenger’s carry-on or checked baggage.
- Guns, Firearms & Weapons including replica firearms.
- Pointed/Edged Weapons & Sharp Objects with a blade of more than 6cm.
- Compressed gases (deeply refrigerated, flammable, non-flammable and poisonous) such as butane, oxygen, liquid nitrogen, aqualung cylinders and compressed gas cylinders; items with internal combustion engines: such as chainsaws, model aircraft and lawnmowers.
- Corrosives, such as acids, alkalis, wet cell batteries, and items containing mercury.
- Explosives & munitions including blank cartridges, hand guns, shot guns, fireworks, Christmas crackers, flares and pistol caps.
- Flammable liquids and solids such as lighters, that required inverting before ignition, lighter fuel, matches (safety matches may be carried on the person), firelighters, paints and thinners. Radioactive materials.
- Oxidising and organic peroxide materials such as bleaching powder and peroxides.
- Poisons, chemicals, toxic and infectious substances such as insecticides weed killers and live virus materials.
- Radioactive material, including medicinal or commercial isotopes.
- Other dangerous articles such as magnetised material, offensive or irritating materials.
Medicines and toiletries in limited quantities required by passengers during the journey such as hairsprays, perfumes and medicines may be carried.
Items acceptable as checked baggage on Ibom Air Flights
The following items will not be accepted for carriage in the cabin of an Ibom Air aircraft, but can be accepted in the hold once acceptably packed:
- Cutlery and knives with blades of a length under 6cm
- Razor blades (both open bladed and safety razors)
- Tradesmen’s tools
- Hypodermic syringes (unless required for medical reasons)
- Knitting needles
- Large sporting bats and clubs
- Billiard, snooker or pool cues
- Ski and walking/hiking poles
Other articles deemed to be unsuitable for carriage as cabin baggage.
Any sharp objects in checked-in baggage should be security wrapped to prevent injury to screeners and handling personnel.
Restricted Items Requiring Advance Notification to Ibom Air (72 hours)
- Battery powered mobility aids:
- Non-spillable batteries.
- Mercury-filled items – barometers, thermometers, etc.
- Avalanche rescue backpack – must be packed with pressure relief valves and in a manner that it can’t be accidentally activated.
- Solid carbon dioxide (dry ice) in limited quantity.
- Heat-producing articles – underwater torches (diving lamps), soldering irons, etc.
- Oxygen and other small cylinders for medical use – cylinder must have a gross weight of under 5 kg.
- Life jackets – containing small non-flammable gas cylinders (containing suitable gas in division 2.2 of the Dangerous Goods categorization).
- Portable medical electronic devices – Automated External Defibrillators (AED), Nebulisers, Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) containing lithium batteries, etc.
- Chemical agent monitoring equipment.
- Firearms and/or ammunition (cartridges for weapons), securely and acceptably packaged. Acceptance of these must be in strict compliance with the Ibom Air and Regulatory Authority firearms documentation and acceptance protocols.
Note: Transport of Firearms/ammunition other than those defined as sporting weapons are subject to government approval. International firearm regulations vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s).
RIGHT OF REFUSAL
Notwithstanding the provisions of the above guidelines, Ibom Air reserves the right to refuse or accept for carriage at the check in counter and / or boarding gate / point, any item it deems unacceptable at the time for travel / carriage.
It is also noteworthy that the above listed items are not exhaustive of restricted, prohibited and banned items considered as dangerous goods.
Again, in the face of any doubt, please contact Ibom Air in a timely manner, providing no less than 72hours time window to verify the acceptability of any item proposed for carriage on board any Ibom Air flight.